This book was written out of a passion for seeing small business owners in South Africa succeed.
As an entrepreneur, you probably already know the value of digital marketing to optimise your limited budget and resources. But all that information out there can be overwhelming – how do you know where to start, or who to trust?
Tailored specifically to the digital world in the 2020s, this easy-to-read practical guide is packed with expert insights and plenty of real-world examples on how to use digital marketing to make your small business thrive. Written by me and my long-term business partner Catherine, it distils our decade of knowledge working with some of the country’s biggest brands, as well as many exciting startups, into bite-sized chunks of marketing know-how.
In a specifically South African context, you’ll learn:
- How to find your USPs & build a brand
- How to craft a digital sales strategy
- How to create a website
- The basics of search engine optimisation
- How to write emotive web copy that inspires action
- How to launch your own digital PR campaign
- How to navigate the world of influencers and social media
SMALL BUSINESS – BIG PLANS IS FOR YOU IF:
- You’ve got a great idea that you want to build into a business, but aren’t sure how to start
- Your small business is your primary source of income, or a side hustle
- You’re a business owner needing to revamp, reposition, or address gaps in your digital or marketing knowledge
- You’re working in a marketing role and want to upskill yourself
- You’re a corporate wanting to start an agile small business subdivision
The International Finance Corporation estimates that small enterprises employ up to 60% of the workforce and contribute to around 34% of our GDP, so small businesses are a BIG part of our economy in South Africa. Unfortunately though, according to UWC Professor Christian Friedrich, over 70% of SMEs in SA fail within the first five years. We know that there are many factors that contribute to this, but we hope that this book can give you a reasonable cushion against becoming part of this statistic.
Get your copy at your favourite retailer (or independent bookstore):
You can also get up-to-date insights, trends and resources at the ‘Small Business – Big Plans’ page of our Black Mountain website.
“In their quintessentially clear and clever writing style, the duo lays out super practical and easy-to-understand tips & strategies.”
Chris Meyer, Digital Marketing Manager, The Cheese Has Moved
“Helps you navigate the digital world with tactical, simple-to-execute nuggets of virtual gold.”
Angelo Bennett, Digital Product Manager, Hollard